header

 photo 1500820_10202505181652207_909331460_o_zps2273132a.jpg

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Working Girl


A couple months ago I took on an evening and weekend position at a large retailer. Over all it is a pretty easy job. I work when my husband is home (no daycare costs, woo-hoo!) and bring in some much needed income.

I have quite a bit of retail experience so it is a pretty easy job. The tricky thing is that they stuck me in the jewelry department. I know absolutely nothing about fine jewelry and was given very little training. I can't even really fake it. I am not one of those women into jewelry. Not even a bit. I personally can not wrap my mind around spending my money on jewelry. But I do not begrudge others. I get it, I really do. It is just not my thing. I am just as happy with cubic zirconia studs as I would be with real diamond studs. Although, funny story... I once bought a pair of cubic zirconia studs from Target. I wanted a pair of earrings I could wear daily that would match everything and I would be able to sleep and bathe with them in. I wore them all the time and never took them about for a period of at least 3 months. One day as I was styling my hair I noticed one was missing a stone. Who knows how long I walked around with a stoneless earring. Ha ha, I guess I should have sprung for the real deal!

Anyway, I digress.

I am excellent at customer service. Truly, I happily go above and beyond. But I suck at the jewelry knowledge. Want to know the difference between saltwater pearls and freshwater pearls? Couldn't tell you. Want to know November's birthstone? No clue. Want to know if 14k gold is better than 10k gold? Huh, are they different? I am terrible. Sometimes customers will ask my opinion on jewelry and it is so hard to give my opinion because I just cannot get over the price most of the time...$2000 for a pair of earrings?! Sometimes customers comment on how hard it must be to work in jewelry and not spend my entire pay check on jewelry. Actually, it is pretty easy. I am am too busy spending all my money in the infants department on Carters and Chaps for the baby!

So for the time being I am retail slave. It is not the best job but I am glad to have it. It is buying me some more time home with my baby. For that, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...