header

 photo 1500820_10202505181652207_909331460_o_zps2273132a.jpg

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Buffalo Chicken Rice

My older children like to cook. They can prepare basic things like scrambled eggs, pasta, muffins (from a mix), etc. Although I cook most nights I like to buy basic, easy to prepare items for them to prepare for those nights life is super crazy or I am not home. I buy easy to prepare pasta, rice, soups, etc. One time I picked up Lipton Buffalo Chicken Rice because it was on sale for $1 and I figured, why not?
My 9-year-old LOVED it. He has been asking for it every since and now I cannot find it anywhere. Being the resourceful mom that I am (ha ha, yeah right) I created my own.

I prepared it very similar to how I prepare Spanish rice, except I used wing sauce in place of tomato sauce.

-2 tablespoons of oil (I use EVOO)
-2 cups of medium grain rice
-3 cups of water
-1 cup of wing sauce (I use Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce)
-1 cup shredded chicken
This made a million portions because I have a million kids. My kids also like spicy food so you can use less Frank's and more water if you choose. I did not measure the garlic salt or pepper I just guesstimated.

I brown my rice, garlic salt and pepper in the EVOO until the rice is golden. Add chicken, wing sauces and water, stir and then cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. I ate mine with a bit of gorgonzola sprinkled on top because I did not have any blue cheese. My kids hate "stinky cheese" so they ate is sans cheese.

Anyway, this was a hit. My kids LOVED it.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...