header

 photo 1500820_10202505181652207_909331460_o_zps2273132a.jpg

Sunday, January 6, 2013

I already know I am being over sensitive but...


Today at work I had an interesting interaction with a customer. First of all, let me be the first to admit I am an over sensitive person. I recognize that my over sensitive nature is a flaw but what can I say, I am who I am. Maybe I am reading way too much into this incident but it is still bothering hours later.


Customer: I really like you top. I shop here all the time...I know it is not from here. winks at me Where did you get it?
Me: Oh, thank you! This is my favorite blouse. I bought it at White House Black Market.
Customer: Wow, I wasted years at college. smiles and laughs I should have just applied here if they are paying you enough to shop at White House Black Market. Well, thanks for your help!


She then smiled and walked off. What the what??


Ok, first of all I AM A COLLEGE graduate. I am currently home with my baby. I work part time at Kohl's to you know, help put food on the table. Secondly, I bought the top about 3 years ago when I was working full time. It was on clearance. AND I paid with a gift card. The gift card was a birthday gift from my mom who knows I love White House Black Market and that I stalk their clearance because I am a thrifty shopper. And lastly, well it just felt like an insult to people that work in retail. I wanted to run after her and justify myself. Why?! I have no idea. I do not need to justify myself to anyone.


I also felt like she thought she was somehow superior to those who work in retail. I firmly believe that if everyone had to do some time in retail or food service that the world would be a better place. Customer service is hard work. We have bred a society of entitled people that believe the customer is always right and let me tell you...they are not. Not even close.


I have worked lots of retail over the years. I worked with many intelligent people. Some college educated and some not. But they were all (well most of them) hard working individuals with the patience of saints.


Anyway, the whole incident rubbed me the wrong way and I can't stop thinking about it. Again, maybe I am just reading into this way too much.

1 comment:

  1. Awww I am so sorry! And no you are not being overly sensitive. She was being overly judgmental. I would told her what I thought. I worked customer service for many years and I agree whole heartedly with you!

    Glad to have found you. I guess I forgot you had a blog. DOH! Glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...